First Assamese Sonnet Puthi

First Assamese Sonnet Puthi

 The first Assamese sonnet is called "Priyotomar Sithi" (Letter from the Beloved) by Hemchandra Goswami. It was published in the magazine Jonaki in 1889. Here is the translation of the poem:

My beloved, I write to you from my heart,
My love for you is like a burning fire,
It consumes me day and night,
And I cannot bear to be away from you.

I long to see your face,
To hear your voice,
To feel your touch,
But I know that I must be patient.

Until we are together again,
I will keep your love in my heart,
And I will dream of the day when we will be reunited.

The poem is written in the traditional Italian sonnet form, with 14 lines divided into an octave and a sestet. The octave sets up the theme of the poem, which is the speaker's love for the beloved. The sestet then explores the speaker's longing for the beloved and their hope for a reunion.

The poem is a beautiful expression of love and longing. It is also a significant work in Assamese literature, as it is the first Assamese sonnet.

Post a Comment

0 Comments